Scheveningen

In 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics was held. At that time I was working for a joint venture company, BP Amoco in Tokyo.
From time to time I visited Amoco headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia for World Sales Meeting. During the meeting I got to know Ruth Anderson, a secretary for the head office. She was responsible not only for reconfirming our airline tickets but also for scheduling sports events and fun events. A sales person by the name of Ernie brought a moonshine bottle to the table where the Japanese were sitting. As I wanted to surprise Americans, I gulped it down.
Ruth was married to a Dutch man, Arthur. She was happy when she told me about him They went to the Caribbean on a honeymoon trip. Furthermore she visited Holland to see Arthur's parents. It was nice of her to take us Japanese by a Toyota Tacoma from a resort hotel to the headquarters.
Back to Tokyo, we sometimes exchanged emails. She was interested in a fancy Japanese gadget like the "Tamagotchi". Our Japanese secretary sent it to her. She was glad to received it. I emailed American counterparts that I was going to visit Seiko Epson in Nagano for sales of Nylon plastic resin originally developed in America. Ruth told me she was collecting commemorative  badges for her mountain-climber's cap. It was in fashion that they pinned medals and badges on their caps. Then I deliberately made a detour in Nagano and dropped in a souvenior shop. I bought several commemorative badges and sent them to Ruth. She was gratified when she received my presents. Unfortunately the badges were too big for her cap. In the end she used the badges for a  keyholder to her Ford Mustang.
As a token of appreciation she sent me a book, entitled "UnDuchables". It was kind of play on words for "Untuchables."
Soon I had to leave the joint venture company. And I wrote her the last email. She answered right on the spot. When I read it, I wanted to cry.
She said, "I got a divorce. I'm no longer married to Arthur."
She's now one of my friends on Facebook.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club