Salesman for medical applicances

I was a salesman at a medical appliance company more than 10 years ago. I relocated to Niigata from Tokyo. I dealt with oxygeon concentrator machine, which is as big as a refrigerator. I took care of doctors, nurses and patients.
I realized two things. First, I must stop thinking like a salesman and not do any kind of pushy selling.Second, despite doctors knowing more than I did, I needed to find out specific things about gadgets that they didn't know which might be useful to them. In that way I'd become useful. Incidentlly, while attemtping all that, I discovered something else. Doctors learn a lot about disease, but they're not well informed about the instruments.
Then there was something else. I realized I must always tell doctors the exact truth, and never exaggerate, never conceal. And if I was asked about a competitor's product and it was better than ours, I'd say so.
What differentiates us from  medical representatives is that we were allowed enter the hospital wings and meet patients who suffer from lung diseases, such as chronic bronchitis, asthma and emphysema.
One day I made a presentation in front of an elderly patient in the hospital. He seemed to have difficutly with hearing. My boss had told me, "You don't have to be pedantic when you talk to him.
Just be nice to him." I deliberately let out a high pitched voice, so that he could hear me better." I even whispered in his ear.
After the presentation the old chap rushed to the head nurse.
He complained, "It's all Greek to me. I don't know what this f---king salesman says. He has strong dialects!"

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club