Getting Weary of Getting Old

Recently I received  a postcard from Osaka Public Safety Committee. It's about a renewal of my driver's license. I was told that I turn in my present driver's license to the police within the designated period namely between July.3 and September 3.  For I'll be 65 on the 3rd of August. I feel a little bit sad about it, because I'll join a group of senior citizens which accounts for 25%  of the whole population.
Let me tell you a little bit more about instructions stipulated in the postcard.
-I'm classified as a "good driver". All I need is to take part in a seminar that lasts only 30 minutes.
-I need a photo and 3,100 Yen to get a new driver's license.
-Photo size: 3 cm high and 2,4 cm wide
I took into consideration disadvantages  and advantages of  having a driver's license.
In the end I decided not to renew the driver's license.

Reasons:
-I have not owned a car for years. It is better that I use public transportation.
-Chances are that I will not be working in future as a tax driver or a chauffeur.
-I suffer from tinnitus. So, it's dangerous to drive a car if I hear a squeaking ringing sound in my   ears and  head.

What happens when you don't apply for the renewal?
The police recommend that I can utilize a driver's licesnse history card with an ID photo.
You can use this card for identification like you go to a bank or take an examination.
That sounds convenient. But why do I need 1,000 Yen to apply for this card? It should  be free especially for the elderly. It's another police bureaucracy, I think.

What other previlege do I get with this driver's license history card?
So far the police are looking for sponsors.who give benefits.
I just searched sponsers in the internet. Let me show you a couple of exemplars. It seems that they are not so lucrative.
1. When you take a taxi in Osaka, the driver gives you a 5% discount of your transportation fare.
2. When you buy a commodity in a department store and  want to have it home shipped, the shipping costs will be free.
3. Suppose you die,  some undertakers give you a 5% discount of your funeral fee.
Who cares after I have died!

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club