Presentation "Japanese Style" through German eyes

1. What is a Japanese presentation like?
When you take a look at a Japanese presentation for the first time, you think that Japan is not Mecca for a professional presentation.For you don't know what to make of it. You'd be having a hard time to come to grips on what theme they are talking about. Furthermore it is not clear for whom the layout is given. The Japanese are fundamentally fond of flashy pink and orange colored slides. They want to make their presenation look charming. Even if they give a scientific presentation, the German audience would get sick and tired of watching Kitty-chan, Ninja and Micky Mouse hopping around and flying on the screen. Chances are the audience would  fall asleep soon.

2. The Japanese attitude toward the presentation
During the presentation period various themes are discussed. They flood the meeting with exorbitant information via handouts, flyers and email. It is not an opportunity for them to make a  mutual decision about one topic.  They take this opportunity to get together. Each one is willing to talk about various topics. They are satified as long as they meet each other. Actually they want to take some rest especially at this moment, because they work longer than the westerners. In the late evening the decisions will be made in the background or preferably  in the bar where the speaker fill in on a gist of the presentation for people who could not participate in the meeting. The Germans might regard this Japanese attitude as irritable, disgusting and insulting. Are the Japanese a skiver? Not really. It's only a matter of  cultural differences. We're not just accustomed to rhetoric. For the Japanese what speech to give is out of the question. They don't care about the presentation itself.

3. Good presentation for the Germans
As I look back on my childhood, no teacher told me how to make a presentation.
Without presentations I could get through a university.
After entering a company I learned a little bit how to give a speech.
But my heart beat so fast each time I made a speech.
I am not good at giving  a presentation.
In the course of time I joined a Japanese-American Foreign Affiliate. An American Vice President assigned me to a presentation at Sales Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. I was glad that I could go to the States. But I got nervous when I thought of the presentation.
Then a British woman by the name of Kate taught me how to get things done. The presentation is not so difficult when you concentrate on the theme and break it down into "Introduction", "Body" and "Conclusion" Then you add a couple of greetings when you start and wrap up your presentation.
I always bear in mind what she told me about a good presentation.

-Presentation should be logically structured
-Consider Past, Present and Future
-Conclusions should be within everybody's grasp
-Contents shoud not kill the audience

Thanks, Kate. I love you!
And for the Germans, please have a little bit patience and inter-cultural senses when the Japanese give a speech.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club