My Daddy

Good morning, everyone. Today I'd like to talk about my memory about my father. When I was a pupil at Seikei Elementary School, I used to see lots of foreign thick books on my father's bookshelf in his study. I was wondering why he took interestes in those books.
Over the years I went up to Seikei High School. My father retired from Tokyo University and was in charge of the Literature Faculty of Seikei University.
I could have gone up to the Economic Faculty of Seikei University with only a school report.
But I overheard my father's subject i.e., "Philosphy and Ethics" was a must for every student.
My mother threatened me that my father was supposed to be hard especially on his son. So I decided to prepare for the entrance examination of other universities.
I studied hard and stayed up late at night. I usually took some rest at 11:00 o'clock. I turned on the radio for a change. Then I heard a German lesson on NHK radio station. Eventually I listened to the radio program for one year. At the end of the term I even wrote my opinion on the program to NHK radio station.
Ever since I entered a university I gradually drifted away from learning German and started working for a company in Osaka.
After I married my wife, I was transferred to the company's headquarters in Tokyo. At first I lived with my family in the company's apartment in the suburbs. As my mother was ill and stayed at the hospital, my father had to live alone downtown Tokyo. At the age of 80 he could not take care of household alone anymore. then I pursuaded my wife and moved with my family to live together with my father. He was very glad to live with us. But his eyesight was getting weaker and weaker. He had a hard time to read his favorite books. I suggested that he buy a copier. I copied a book and enlarged the letters written in the book.
Still he made efforts to read the enlarged letters. He applied the article to the windowpane and tried to read it in the sunshine. He said to me finally, "Sadaji, read this article for me." I thought I could never read his difficult philosophical books by the German great thinkers, such as Kant, Heidegger and Hegel. Although I didn't know what it was written, I began to read aloud, or rather pronouce the German words just like I learned on the NHK radio. When I was done with it, he said, "Sadaji, thank you. So much for today." To my surprise he understood what I was reading aloud.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club