Hey, Euro. You met your Waterloo!

The first time I saw Euro bills was back in February, 2007. I was in a Mitsubishi Bank, Osaka. A middle aged teller gave me them in exchange for Yen.
I found the crisp Euro bills  fabulous, magical and fairy-taled. Immediately I recalled  reading the Germann fairy-tale, "Die Sterntaler". I said to myself, "At last I'm able to see that mesmerising blue-eyed blonde chick. Wow! Isn't that fantastic?"

Three days later I dragged my trunk to the Kansai Airport. Customs search officer were strict.
They took away my 100 Yen lighters for tight security reasons.
The next day I arrived in Neurnberg. It goes without saying that I rushed to the Kiosk at Nuernberg Station and bought 2 lighters. That was the first time I used the new Euro bills.

After that I went by train to Wuerzburg. I went into a small restaurant nearby. I ordered a cofffee.
The waitress was young , but not so romantic as the fairy- tale girl.  Soon she came up to me with the bill. Then I looked at Euro coins. Somehow they all looked the same to me. I found it troublesome to count the coins. But I trust the Germans. I showed her all the coins and  said, "-cuse me, I don't know which coin is which." She smiled at me and took the right amount of money.

When I came back to Japan, I went to the same bank. I turned in a 100 Euro bill
and changed into Japanese Yen. It's a shame I could not change Euro coins into Yen.
I have still the coins that amounts to 3.51 EURO in the drawer of my writingtable.

When we take a look at the current exchange rate between Euro and Yen, 1.00 Euro nearly equals 100 Yen. Compared with  5 years ago Yen is getting stronger and stronger. Now the fairy story comes true.
It's like Euro rain suddenly falling upon the Japanese.
Maybe you should go to visit Germany if you also have a yen for fairy stories. It's high time.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club