Shibuya

In 1964 my father retired from Tokyo University. He decided to rebuild a new house in Koenji. We moved to a house-designer's house in Shibuya and stayed there from September until April in 1965.
The designer's house was near Shibuya Station. Unlike fancy image of Shibuya, it was located in the middle of the low residential area, that is, a couple of blocks away from Meiji-Street(Ring  Road 5). If I go to the intersection on the Meiji-Street, I would see an off-track betting place for horse racing on my left side. On Sundays and holidays the betting center was full of people.
Our new address goes like this. Shibuya-ku Golden King[金王)Town 1-2-3 bla bla...
On the 1st of January we received many New Year's cards. My father got as many as 300 cards. Among them I found an interesting one. The postcard was wrongly addressed like Shibuya-ku Golden Ball [金玉) Town 1-2-3 bla bla...In Japanese Golden Ball means a cock. This joke made my mother and me laugh aloud.
I commuted from Shibuya to Kichijo-Ji by train ( Inokashira-Line) to go to Seikei High School. One of my classmates by the name of Oka-chin came to Shibuya on weekends. We used to go to Tokyu Cultural Center by the station.
We enjoyed seeing the movie starring Rock Hudson and Doris Day. The movie was entitled "If September comes..." It was a typical American fun love comedy. It goes without saying that we both yearned for America.
Fortunately we were near the Olympic National Stadium in Yoyogi. You know, Tokyo Olympic Games were held on the 1st of October, 1964. Athletes' Village was located somewhere between Yoyogi and Shibuya. One day I visited Athletes' Village. Many athletes were heading for the village.
Among them I picked out a tall American and spoke to him. "Can I have your autograph?" He said, "Sure!" and wrote down his name on my notebook. I just wanted to speak to him in English.
Next morning I was surprised to read "Tokyo Newspaper". He tunred out to be a gold medal winner in 200 meter backstrokes.
Recently Japan was designated as a host nation for Olympic Games in the year 2020. I hope many foreigners will be coming to Tokyo. Enjoy your stay in Japan!

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club