Brown-bag Party

Last Saturday I took part in a German conversation session at Japan Germany Society in Sannomiya.
I discussed about  a theme "Summer Vacation" with other 12 members.

Especially for this meeting everyone was supposed to bring"Tsumami"(garnish or snack) to the conversation table. I brought "Gliko Pocky" and a small pack of peanuts. I was surprised to see many housewives bringing various feasts, such as Tenpura-Sushi, Onigiri, German potates to the table. In return the host of the club served each member a bier (Asahi Super Dry). I was glad to see the bier, because I usually drink a lower grade bier (Kirin Tanrei).  I was a little bit nervous, when a mature German woman sat next to me. For I was thinking of a compliment to her Tsumami all the time. Her brown-bag turned out to be Onigiri and mini-tomatoes with spicy basil. Compared to my wife's Onigiri her Onigiri was a little bit sweet.
When I said so, it seemed she made a face. So I tried to soothe her  with a joke and said, "Never mind, my wife strews a bunch of salt when she makes Onigiri. You know why? All she wants is that I suffer from hypertension and die soon." The mini-tomato's flavor was so good, that I felt as if I was in Germany. 

Meanwhile everyone started  talking about his  journey on summer vacation. It was surprising that they all have been to so many different sightseeing places in Europe, such as Germany, Sweden, France, Italy and Turkey.
As for me, I have never been abroad during summer vacation. So, I told them what I read an aricle in Suede-Deutsche Newpaper. German's favorite trip destinations are Mallorca in Spain, Tunesia, Egypt in Northafrica , Bulgaria in the Eastern Europe and so  on.

Why do they like  going  down to southwards?  For one thing the weather in Germany is cold and wet. Historically the Germans were nomads until the 4th century. They were blocked by the Roman Army somewhere around the border named Rhein that separates definitely from France. They have to stick to a land where lacks in sunshine throughout the year. That's why they love partying on the warm islands of the Mediterranean Sea. Doesn't is sound a little sad?  When we look back on the German history, they have been always fighting against each other. And they had to be always on the go during the Dark Ages. Look at the 30 -Years- War in the 16th century. The whole Germany was devastated. Sarcatically  the German Empire was established in the middle of the 19th century thanks to Napoleon who had dominated the whole Europe in early 1800s. Then came up the 1st World War followed by the 2nd World War and the division of East and West Germany. At last they found real peace and freedom when the unification of East and West Germany took place in 1989.
So let 'em enjoy thier summer holidays in the sourthern warm islands.

 Well, so much for the history of Germany. The brown-bag party came to an end when the host took a photo of all members. On my way back home I was tipsy. Maybe I was nervous and not accusotmed to the high-grade "Asahi Super Dry". I rushed through the wicket at Sannomiya Station into the men's room. Just in case I checked my ticket in my pocket. No ticket. I rummaged through my wallet frantically but in vain. I was aghast.  I have an annoying habit of losing tickets. But this time I was in a real jam. Then I told a station employee honestly  what happened to me. He said, " How much did you pay for the ticket?" I said, "320 Yen". He replied politely. "Sir, I'm sorry, I don't happen to have your ticket at hand at the moment. Please check out on the wicket machine you went through."
Believe it or not I found my ticket beside the slot on the automatic wicket machine. In Japan nobody steals your tickets.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club