School Excursion

Good morning, everyone. Today I'd like to talk about school trips in my younger days.
You know the month May is the best season for those school trips, as the weather is fair, warm and mild.
For starters, let me talk talk about a school trip when I was in the 3rd grade of Seikei Junior High School in Tokyo.
The teachers designated our destination as Kyoto and Nara.
Actually I stayed at an inn near Kyoto Station Tower. I slept with other classmates on the large tatami mat. My aunt living in Kyoto visited me at the inn. She gave me one of Kyoto's specialities, that is, "Yatsuhashi" as a gift for my mother. On one hand I was very happy to received it. On the other hand I was a little bit ashamed when she spoke loudly the Kyoto dialect. Everyone seemed to be curious to know the relationship between my aunt and me.
After sightseeing in Kyoto, we moved to Nara. Just like Kyoto, we visited various temples and shrines, such as Yakushiji-temple, Todaiji-temple and Kasuga Big Shrine.
Particularly I have a good memory of visiting Yakushiji-temple. For a famous monk by the name of Takada Koin, showed us the temple around. I recall him explaining ariculately to us about the temple's history. It was so informative.
Next, I'd like to talk about a school trip when I was in the 2nd grade of Seikei High School.
The teachers were very considerate of those students who were going to take other universities' examination. So, they carefully avoided the 3rd Year to go on a trip. Yet they designated five destinations, like Hokkaido district, Tohoku district. Sanin district, Shikoku district and Kyushu district. Students were allowed to choose among them.
I decided to go to Shikoku Island, because my grandfather was born in Kochi and grew up there.
We went to Kobe by Tokaido Line. Then we went by Kansai Ferry to Matsuyama. After that we stayed in Ashizuri Cape on the southermost tip of Shikoku. Finally I reached Kochi.
We enjoyed eating bonito sashimi at a hotel and went to the seashore where Sakamoto Ryoma's statue stood. I bowed in front of him, as he was the greatest hero at the end of Samurai era.
On our way back home, we went by bus through the Oboke-Koboke tunnenl and got to the Naruto Channel. The teachers explained to us that this was a fierce battlefield between Genji Samurais and Heike Samurais in ancient times. I threw many round brittle plates into the whirling sea.
When I entered university, I made two friends from Shikoku Island. One is from Marugame, the other one is from Imabari. On summer vacation I went by car to Shikoku and visited two friends. After departing from Marugame, I enjoyed seeing the beautiful scenery of Setonai See, when I drove down the National Road to Imabari.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club