Some Christmas!

Christmas is just around the corner. What do your decorations or lights look like this year? Did you listen to Christmas songs? Did you write Christmas cards? I did. I wrote to a German teacher in German. He's a typical fat German with a beard. That reminds me of Santa Claus.

In Germany they call him not Santa Claus but Nikolaus. Nikolaus was born in the Eastern Roman Empire(current Turkey). His story dates back as far as in the 11th century when the Queen Thepandaou governed. In the 14th century Martin Luther forbade Nikolaus to give Chrismas presents to children.
Nowadays in Germany instead of Nikolaus a Christmas Kind gives Christmas presents in the Christmas Market.
In the 1930s All American Coca-Cola cooked up the name Santa Claus for its commercial. That's why the name Santa Claus is worldwide known.

Well, I don't give it damn about the western history. After all I am Japanese, I just love  Santa Claus.
Actually I really believed in Santa Claus when I was a kid.
I thought he'd give me presents put in Christmas stockings on Christmas Eve. In earlier December I could hardly wait for him. But my sister is a pain in the ass. She filled me in on the fact, that Santa Claus doesn't exist at all.
She told me the serveral reasons for that. To begin with there is no snowfall in Tokyo. So Santa Claus cannot come to see you by sleigh. Besides there are no chimeny and no fireplace in my shabby-looking house, which is made of paper and wood. If an overweight Santa Claus climbed up the roof, our house would be broken down easily. I was dissapointed to hear her talking like this. My romantic fantasy goes down on the drain!
Having said that, she married a respectable man a couple of years later. My brother-in-law gave me the tracks of toy railroad for a Christmas present. It consisted of  a locomotive steam engine followed by a tender and passgercars. How I loved these presents!

Right now my wife puts up a Christmas tree in the living room. She decorated it with candles, lights and colored paper.
I'm looking forward to having  Christmas dinner with my wife and my daughter on the 24th of December, as Santa Claus's arrival is eagerly anticipated.
Happy Christmas to all of you!

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club