The Dairy of a Young Girl

On the 3rd of November I invited Hidenori to a cafe near my house. We read together a German book entitled "The Dairy of a Young Girl."
We took a  style of Harry Potter Club. First, Hidenori read and translated his assigned pages, and then I read my part and translated into Japanese.
It's been almost a year since this book-reading club started.
What's special about the last meeting was that I prepared a Japanese version of the dairy published by Bunshun Paperbacks.
Usually my direct translation is choppy, but Hidenori understands what I wanted to say.
Sometimes we are stuck with the difficult German grammatical usages. As a last resort we relied on the Japanese version for reference. It was helpful but it took solid three hours to finish the meeting. We started at 11 am and ended at 2 pm.
After the meeting I took him down to a bread-coffee shop on the first floor.
As Hidenori comes all the way from Takatsuki, I bought him lunch.
We ate spaghetti. It was good. I had a nice time with him.
Recently his father suffered from lung cancer. Now Hidenori looks after him.
He even gave up going to German school in Kyoto on weekends.
As a pensioner I can't force him to get together, because he is a salaried man..
But it seemed he enjoyed reading the book together.
After we parted, I got email from him.
I'm very glad to hear that he wants to attend the next meeting in three months.
The meeting motivates me to read the book every day. Aside from the meeting I read the book every day little by little and translate into Japanese. The book consists of 304 pages. Now I'm turning page 125 which describes incidences in a hiding-place in 1943.
Anne lives with her parents, the family named van Daans and their son, Peter.
Anne doesn't get along with her mother and her sister named Margot. But she likes her father, named Otto Frank and Peter.They listen to the BBC radio.The Prime Minister Churchill announced that England bombarded Italy. It's a sign that the Allied Forces would win the war over Germany..
Having said that, it's sad to think about what happened to the people later on in the hiding-place. The Nazi arrested them all. Only Anne's father survived. Thanks to a helper by the name of Miep they found Anne's writings. Otto Frank decided to publish Anne's dairy. The book became a best-seller and totally 30,000,000 books have been sold all over the world to this day.
So much for the content.
I'd like to sum up by saying the translating job is a good practice when you want to master a foreign language.
Last but not least, I'd like to thank the members of Harry Potter Club who gave me the idea of setting up this German book-reading club.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club