My Grandfather's Rented House

Last week my wife read an article in the newspaper on my grandfather's rented house in Kyoto.
The old house will be broken down soon.
The photo's image was different from the house in Tanaka Asukai-cho which I visited with my mother in my childhood.
As a matter of fact the house was bigger than I imagined. I was absorbed further in the article. I noticed the address of the house was different from Asukai-cho. It's located in Tanaka Yanagi-machi. The inside of the house can be seen on the homepage of Kyoto University for which Professor Hayashi is responsible.
Immediately I wrote email to Professor Hayashi, as my wife wanted to see the house passionately.
In the course of email exchanges with him I got to know he studies Nishida's philosophy. His ten- year- older wife was also a student at Tokyo University and knew of my elder sister.
I asked him whether my wife and my daughter could drop in the house and see it.
It was kind of him to let the owner of the house know our wishes.
On Saturday my wife and my daughter went to Demachi Yanagi. The son of the owner waited already at the station.
The house happened to be the one where my grandfather and my mother lived in the 1920's.
At that time my grandfather had difficulty with his family. His wife had a stroke, his eldest son died of pneumonia, and his daughters were all invalid except my mother. Nevertheless he was establishing Kyoto school of thought. One of his disciples, Miki Kiyoshi, must have visited this house from time to time. My mother was probably 10 years old.
The characteristic of the house is that it is equipped with a long corridor where my grandfather went back and forth, thinking of his creative philosophy. That reminds me of the famous philosopher's road around Nanzen-ji. It's too bad, that this house will be demolished.
The fly in the ointment is that the owner would donate the part of the corridor and grandfather's study to Kyoto University Museum.
As a token of appreciation we sent Professor Hayashi a book entitled "Kaneko Takezo in retrospect."It's a book about my father and was published after his death in 1989.
My wife criticized me that I didn't go along with them to the rented house. She said, "It's your job to see the house by yourself! Shame on you!"
About three years ago I had bad experiences at Goethe Institute which is in the neighborhood of my grandfathers rented house.
Therefore I had no intention of going to Kyoto anymore. But I watched grandfather's calligraphy hanged on the wall of my room and said secretly, "Sorry, Grandpa!"

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club