Red-Eye Flight

In 1996 I was in Atlanta, Georgia to attend World Sales Meeting. I was with other member of a Japanese -American joint venture, named Teijin Amoco. I met with not only American counterparts but also Amoco sales person from all over the world, such as the UK, France, Germany,Singapore and Hong Kong. The obnoxious part of the meeting was that we Japanse salesperson hat to give a speech in front of the formidable Americans.
The conference started on Monday and ended on Thursday. I gave a speech in English one way or another. When I was done with the speech, i was so relieved.
Over the weekend the Japanese members were allowed to stay in Los Angeles.
My American counterpart, Richard Sullivan, asked, "Kaneko-san, so you're catching a red-eye flight?" I didn't know what the red-eye flight meant. It was nice of him to explain to me, it was a flight taken at night.
If you took a red-eye flight from New York to Los Angeles, it would take about 6 hours. and  the possibility is that you are not able to sleep due to time difference. Therefore by the time you will have arrived in Los Angeles, your eyes turn red.
Actually I flew  Delta Airways from Atlanta to Los Angeles. Of course I couldn't sleep well. But for other reasons. I kept watching beautiful blonde stewardesses all the time. They seemed to me younger than the ones who fly international airlines.
As soon as we arrived in Los Angeles, we went on a journey to Universal Studios where we met thrilling "Jaws" and heating "Towering Inferno". I mean famous scenes and characters in American movies.
That was a lot of fun.
The other time in America, I flew with my company's Japanese president and manager from Atlanta to Pittsburgh. As we took a seat in the same row, a stewardess rushed to us. She asked us , "Do you speak English?"
I answered for the kicks, "Of course! Why not?" The other two bosses joined the bandwagon and answered, "Yeeeeees." jokingly. Then she got more serious,.as we didn't behave ourselves.
After that a tall stolid steward came up to us. He reasoned with us how important this emergent seat was. The person who sits in this seat must assist other passengers in case of emergency..
It's no laughing matter when it comes to security.
The three of us got pale. We ended up moving over to the other seat.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club