In Appomattox

GRANT: I met you once before, General Lee, while we were serving in Mexico, when we came over from General Scot's headquarters to visit Garland's brigade, to which I then belonged. I have always remembered your appearance, and I think I should have recognized you somewhere.

LEE: Yes, I know I met you on that occasion and I have often thought of it and tried to recollect how you looked, but I have never been able to recall a single feature. (Some further brief mention of Mexico) I suppose, General Grant, that the object of our present meeting is fully understood. I asked you to ascertain upon what terms you would receive the surrender of our army.

GRANT: The terms I propose are those stated substantially in my letter of yesterday, that is, the officers and men surrendered to be praoled and disqualified from taking up arms again until properly exchanged and all arms, ammunition, and supplies to be delivered up as captured property.

LEE: Those are about the conditions which I expected would be proceeded.

GRANT: Yes, I think our correspondence indicated pretty clearly the action that would be taken at our meeting, and I hope it may lead to a general suspension of hostilities and by the means of preventing any further loss of life.

Lee appeared to assent, and Grant made some remarks aout the prospects of peace.

LEE: I presume, general Grant, we have both carefully considered the proper steps to be taken and I would suggest that you commit to writing the terms you have proposed so that they maybe be formally acted upon.

GRANT: Very well, I will write them out.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club