A small car produced by Mitsubishi Auto Corp.

in 1971 My father bought me a Mitsubishi Colt 1000 Fastback. It was a compact white sedan with a 50 horse-power engine.
I asked a Mitsubishi salesperson when he brought the car to my house, "What's the advantage of owning this car?"
He replied politely, "Young man, forget Toyota Corolla 1100 or Nissan Sunny 1000. This car is equipped with the most endurable engine for this class. We are proud of the fact that we won the Southern- Cross- Rally  in Australia 5 times in a row. In short, you can drive up to the top of Fuji-san. It's piece of cake." I wondered if there were any hilly off-roads in Tokyo. But it doesn't matter. After all my father paid for the car.
In summer my father asked me to take him for a drive to Nagano. He was supposed to give a lecture on German philosophy for local school teachers.
At that time there was no Central Highway. So I took the route 20 and headed for Kofu Basin.
It was a hot and muggy day. As the car was small, air-conditioner didn't work well. All of a sudden my father exclaimed, "Sadaji, I can't bear this heat any more!" I looked carefully into the rearveiw mirror. Good Heavens" He started taking off his clothes one by one. I didn't know that the pretigious Tokyo university's professor was a strip-teaser! Now I'm ashamed of seeing him wearing only underclothes on. Sometimes his strange behavior embarrassed me.
Two hours later we reached Kiso-Fukushima Station. No one seemed to be waiting for us as promised. For a change we droved farther down to the Kiso River. We enjoyed seeing waterfalls.
We were able to completely chill out.
After that we drove to the hotel directly. In the late evening a few principals of elementary school visited us. Actually they were waiting for us at the station. Moreover they noticed the very small sedan near the station. But no one expected that my father came by car and employed his son as a chauffeur. Maybe my father wanted to show off a Mitsubishi Colt 1000 Fastback.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club