Preparing for the Podium

Today I'd like to talk about "Preparing the Way for the Final Speech." Now that your draft is done and your edit-reading is completed. Perhaps what you see is a little frightening, because once again you're dealing with the fear of unknown; I mean the reactions of the audience.
As far as I am concerned, I practiced my speech in all different places.
Firstly when I attendeed World Sales Meeting in Atlanta, U.S.A., making a presentation was a must. I stayed at a cozy resort hotel. It was nice of Michel, a French salesperson, to lend me a pointer. In my room I hung up Power Point Slides on the wall. Pointing at each slide I practiced my speech 10 times. It looks like that my voice was loud enough to have embarrassed a customer in the next room. A bell boy came up to me and said, "Sir, would you mind turning down the TV? A neighbor is complaining."
Secondly when I was a Master of the Evening for Toastmasters English Speaking Club in Osaka, I practiced my speech at the Karaoke Bar. I deliberately used a microphone, because it was fun hearing my own voice echoing. I felt as if I was already at the podium speaking to the audiencee.
Thirdly, I'd like to introduce my "Secret Shadow Practice" to you. If I had no time, I even practiced in the train. The passengers sitting in front of you were to be the audience. I sneaked  notes from my briefcase and mumbled. The trick here is that I didn't look at the passengers in the eyes, instead in the mouth or in the forehead.
Last but not least I found the best way for a final rehearsal. My domineering wife was the accomplice. I obtained some privacy and sat her down in a chair as far away as possible. so I could get the feeling of giving a talk from beginning to end without interruptions. If I happened to fumble somewhere along the line, I just kept going. The idea was to give a complete performance. A fly in the ointment is that my wife dosen't speak English. She couldn't evaluate the content of my speech. But she could give me feedback on my speaking speed, postures and eye-contacts. She mentioned that I didn't stand up straight and leaned on the lectern. The worst thing was that I didn't look at her in the eyes.
That was bad manner. But I got the feeling of giving a talk. After that I jumped into the meeting room and spoke to the audience, "Good evening, everyone, I'm honored to be a Toastmaster of the Evening. Tonight I'd like to present you the first speaker, Ingrid Mann. She came here all the way from Germany...."

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club