I was found guilty of speeding

In the Year 2000 I began to work for a medical company in Nagaoka. I left my family in Tokyo and relocated to Nagaoka alone. The company was involved with sales of oxgeon concentrator machine for patients who suffered from COPD(Chronic Oppressive Pulmonary Disease) for example, emphysema, asthma and bronchitis. Actually I was in charge of 20 hospitals and 200 patients. According to the company policy, believe it or not, we were allowed to visit  hospital wings where we demonstrated the correct way to handle the machine.The company also enlarged interpretation of sales person's job descriptions that entailed a visit to pateints' house without doctor's permit. Sounds strange?  But that's how Japanese home -care medical business was carried out.

One day I was working alone overtime in the office. My watch says 9:00 pm. I said to myself, "It's time I went home now." As I was about to switch off lights, the telephone on the desk rang loud and the reciever rattled. It was a notrious patient by the name of Oldriver. He said, "Something is wrong with the machine. It doesn't work and I am out of breath." I heard him wheezing a lot at the end of the line.
The company slogan was "Sweat a lot for patients!" I was always senstive about the patients' evalaution of our products. If our service was bad, the patient would complain to a doctor or a headnurse. If the hospital had a bad image of us, our sales would decrease for sure. Simply put, patients are treated as a god.  I had to suck up to not only doctors but patients.

Immediately I prepared an alternative oxgeon concentrator and put it into a company car, Toyota Liteace.
I took the Hudson HWY and took a left at Alpfaretta and droved down the country road. Out of thin air appeared a couple of cops with a flashlight. I was beckoned into the driveway of city hall. One officer approached me and said politely, "Could you pull over a bit? Lots of cars will be coming in."
Soon I realized this was a police "rat trap". But it was too late. The officer went on, "Well, sir, you were doing 70 km an hour whereas the traffice law stipulated as 30 km per hour." I replied, "One of my patients is in a state of emergeny, so could you excuse me?" Then he asked me, "Wait a minute, are you a doctor or something?" I shook my head. He said, "Then, we'll have to give you a ticket for speeding."

I pushed the ticket into my pocket and started driving. Half an hour later, I reached Oldriver's house.
I checked out on oxgeon density and oxgeon flow carefully. Everything is working in order. But I intentionally changed the machine in front of him. I just wanted to get Oldriver's feelings relieved.
Now that the machine is replaced, he seemed to be getting better. After that I was invited to his drawing room. We had a small talk. My watch said 12:00 midnight. I said to him, "Well, it's kind of getting late, I must be going."
In the doorway he gave me a bottle of Japanese wine out of appreciation.

The wine smelled bitter and sweet.
It was bitter because I had to pay the amount of fine out of my own pocket.
It was sweet because the notorious patient turned out to be a good guy.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club