Pakistani friend

I was a junior high school boy in 1960's. In May I went on a school excurtion trip to Kyoto. I was not interested in temples and shrines. I had an aunt living in Kyoto. I was happy when she visited me at a hotel in front of Kyoto Station. She gave me some Yatsuhashi as a souvenior and told me she was running a small hotel where many foreigners like Westerners and Asians lived.
In August I got on a locomotive alone at Tokyo Station and headed for Kyoto to see my aunt again.
At first I tried to talk to Elizabeth from England. But she was rather snobbish. In the meantime an Indonesian couple took me to Daimono-ji Burning. But I found it boring to talk with them, because they always referred to the atrocities of Japanese soldiers during the 2nd World War.
On the other hand I liked talking with Haque-san from Pakistan, because he spoke good English.
His apperance was somewhere between a European and an Asian. I thoght he was exotic.
However my aunt was of the opnion that I kept a distance from him. He was notrious for knocking up many Japanese young women.
In September I was back in Tokyo. I wrote a postcard to Haque-san. Soon I received a letter from him saying that he now lives in Asian Instituion's dormitory located in Yotsuya. One day I called him up and visited him at the dorm. There were also a couple of wealthy Pakistani living together with him. A tall man was wearing a turban and asked me, "Hey, young boy, we're going to Nichigeki Dancing Hall in Ginza. Why don't you join us?" I knew what Nichigeki Dancing Hall was like. It is a strip- tease theater, all right. But I declined politely and walked out of the room.
When I am home, I told my mother everything what happened on that day. She said, "Unlike your brother, you're adventurous! I'm so proud of you, Sadaji." And she added, "You'll be somebody in future." For better or worse I am nobody to date.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club