My first presentation in the U.S.A.

I joined a chemical company in Osaka in 1971. Over the years I was transferred to a Japanese-American joint venture company in Tokyo. President was a Japanese. Vice President was an American by the name of Martin Braun. One day Martin came to me and said, "Kinko, you're going to America to attend a world sales meeting". I was on the top of the world, because I had never been to America. The vice president shook his head and went on, "This is not just a sightseeing trip. You've got to give a presentation before your counterparts. Can you do that?" I had mixed feelings. I have neve given a talk before Americans. But the idea of going to America was so irrisistable that I answered, "Yes, I'll do that, Martin."
The big day came a month later at a resort hotel in Atlanta, Georgia. I went up to the podium and looked at the audience. I said to myself, "Wow, so many different people in different clothes." It seemed to me that everyone was staring at me. I was scared. I know my feet are trembling. All of a sudden I recalled having a good time talking to different people from Asia when I stayed at my aunt's house in Kyoto. Then, I started with a loud voice, "Good morning, everyone! My name is......" I made it one way or another. For I had meomorized word for word and practiced many times. When I was done with the speech, I had a sense of accomplishment. That was a tremendous experience. I learned an important lesson, ie. "Always Take a Positive Attitude". Eventually this joint venture came to an end in accordance with a contract.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Six Signals All Audiences Want to Hear

Friendly Club